When I first set out to write this blog post, I did not expect it to be anywhere as difficult as it ended up being. There are countless photos of Rock 'n' Roll Camp for Girls in action, and I figured, how hard can it be to pick one for this post? However, once I started really looking, it became difficult to distill what I wanted to say into one single photograph. I ended up picking this photo largely because of the writing on the board and because of the volunteer/camper interaction. The leader of the workshop (the woman in the red skirt, Beth) is checking on the girls' progress on their zine pages, but only in passing as her body movement indicates that she is about to step away from the table. In so doing, she is allowing the space necessary for the campers to express themselves. I also am particularly struck by the topics on the board: "1. Whatever you want! 2. Rock camp life vs. non-rock camp life 3. Why I'm Weird" and I can't read the 4th option. This range represents the themes of feminism that Rock Camp hopes to enact, and reflects the goal of self-empowerment for women and girls that lies at the root of all Rock Camp programming.
A couple other things I thought about in terms of photos as sources: Is every photo a potential source? Does the age of the photo have anything to do with how valuable it is as a source? How can photos work differently in series or in combination with other photos than as stand alone pieces? I'm not sure the answers to these questions yet, but I'm definitely thinking about them!

No comments:
Post a Comment