Sunday, October 28, 2012

What kind of Pop?

http://popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html
I know this may not be the kind of map that we were supposed to analyze.  But it was the one that I found that was most interesting to me.  The map shows the most popular term used to describe soft drinks.http://popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county. Being from Chicago, I have grown up calling soft drinks "pop."  In fact, if you walk into nearly any restaurant in Chicago and your meal comes with a drink they will ask you "what kind of pop."  So it is interesting coming to California and having people giving me blank stares when I said I wanted a orange pop.  It's interesting to see how many differences there are in vernacular the U.S.  I don't know why this is so fascinating to me but I think it is indicative of something larger.  I guess it makes sense because the U.S is a huge place and different types of people settled in different places.

No comments:

Post a Comment