For my post this week I was thinking about Twitpics and their function in the instant spread of information via Twitter. I tried to find a "famous" or particularly influential Twitpic and was unsuccessful, but I found this interesting story about Tom Hanks announcing the cast of his film "Larry Crowne" via Twitpic. He did this as a somewhat subversive move, bypassing the typical system of publicity in Hollywood.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/blogs/popcornbiz/Hanks-Gets-the-Message----Announces-Larry-Crowne-Cast-Via-Twitpic-89383782.html
Twitpics and their functions are somewhat related to my thesis topic, as people following celebrities (specifically television actors and actresses) on Twitter may look at the pictures they post and feel closer to them and/or their characters on the show, making them more inclined to watch the show and care about its longevity. The more connected the audience feels to the television show, the more likely they are to campaign for it's survival on-air, often via Twitter.
No comments:
Post a Comment