Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pin Up Girls Before and After

This website shows the actual pictures of pin up girls from the 1950s, next to the drawing that came out of that picture. I chose this picture set because to me, this is photoshopping before computers. The bodies of some of these women are completely distorted. Also this shows society's notion of what was beautiful at the time. This shows very explicitly the beginning of a trend and also changing notions of beauty and how to advertise it. I feel Pin ups are also very connected to the sexualization of advertisements, as many of these images where used to sell products both related and completely unrelated. The women are made to look slimmer, whiter, bustier, blonder and more made up. I could definitely use this in my thesis.

http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/pin-up-girls-before-and-after-ii-1950s/

1 comment:

  1. These are super neat, Emily! People always use pin-ups as a reference point for some mythical wonderful time before models had to conform to such stringent standard of beauty, but clearly just because these women aren't emaciated doesn't mean the images are showing "real women."

    ReplyDelete