I chose this map, released by the 2010 census, showing internet access at home, broken down by region in the U.S. In my thesis I will discuss which magazines are thriving in print, which are thriving digitally, and which are not doing well with either medium. I think this map could be helpful in seeing if there are any regional correlations with the data I find about which magazines do best in which forms.
For instance, the map shows that more households on the coasts are internet-connected. Based on the map, I may bring political sentiments and social trends into consideration. For instance, I could see if perhaps agricultural, right-winged or southern-aimed publications tend to better in print than in digital forms, since less homes in the regions that those publications may appeal to are internet-connected.
On the flip side, maybe liberal publications tend to do very well in northeastern states and Washington state (the most internet-connected and politically liberal areas of the country). My hypotheses are not rooted in any evidence, but this map, along with researching which magazines do best in which formats, could lead to interesting evidence.

No comments:
Post a Comment