Sunday, October 28, 2012

Census Mapping: Racial/Ethnic Diversity in PDX

I found out about this map in another AMST class, I think in spring 2010. Ever since then, I have played around with it at least once a month and the more I investigate, the more overwhelmed I become by how racially segregated our country still is. For this particular post, I examined Portland, Oregon, the site of Rock 'n' Roll Camp for Girls. Oregon is 78% white, and Portland and Rock Camp are no exceptions. One of my goals for next year when I work at the camp is to advertise and do outreach to schools with higher populations of racial and ethnic minority groups as well as the working poor. In order to accomplish successful outreach, it is important to investigate census maps and gain more information about various potential target populations. In relation to my thesis research, this census map could prove useful in thinking about the variety of ways in which Rock Camps in different regions of the U.S. enact feminism differently, and how that may be tied to different racial dynamics in their city. While racial diversity is clearly not the only factor in examining the variation between camps, it is an important factor.
Here's the map I was looking at: census map. I couldn't figure out how to get a link to just the Portland map, but it's kind of fun to navigate around it on your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment