Sunday, September 16, 2012

Vogue and Women's Health

While researching for this blog post, I tried to think of interesting articles I had read lately. The first that came to mind was an article about the difficulties facing young women who are trying to find doctors to surgically sterilize them (or tie their tubes) as a means of permanent birth control. As someone focusing my majors in Gender and Women's Studies, this seemed to be a relevant topic. The one problem: it was in Vogue.
Is Vogue a viable source of news, especially health-related news? It is definitely one of the most esteemed fashion magazines in the world, and its leadership, especially under Anna Wintour, has been attempting to make it a more serious source of cultural and political writing alongside its fashion focus. But I definitely felt unsure about posting it as a source for a college class.
This article is, in my opinion, well-written and well-researched. I also think it raises important issues regarding women's rights and reproductive health, both of which are pressing issues in the present political climate. Interestingly enough, I searched the Vogue archive for over an hour and couldn't find a direct link to the article, which was ironic given that their fashion and lifestyle articles were meticulously documented. But I'm attaching a link from the Daily Mail that gives a good synopsis of the article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2175482/Married-womans-year-struggle-convince-doctors-allow-surgical-sterilization.html

No comments:

Post a Comment