Sunday, November 18, 2012

Wearing a Turban in America

For this weeks blogpost, I chose the story of Surinder and Rupinder Singh. In their interview, they talk about the harassment they received in the past and continue to receive in the present. In the interview, the father talks about being fired from his job for refusing to take off his turban and "look like us". I think this could be helpful in my thesis in expanding what religion and what religious customs are affected by the beauty culture here in america and as a facit to expand it to include more male issues.   

http://storycorps.org/listen/stories/surinder-and-rupinder-singh/


SS: Yeah, it does happen. But you have to maintain your strength, and you have to try to learn not to give up.
 
Once when I was desperately needing a job, they had hired me, but after two, three days, I was told that, “Mr. Singh you have to remove your turban … you have to look like us.”
 
I said, “Mr … I won’t do it.” And I gave up the job right away. He was very surprised, but I was not willing to give in.
 
RS: Yeah and I think I’ve kind of inherited that myself.  Removing my turban, cutting my hair was never even a consideration for me. I never thought of that as an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment