Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Punk Syndrome

I interned at a documentary film festival this summer, and one of the films that I really wanted to see but could never find time for (I had to, you know, work), was called The Punk Syndrome, which is about a Finnish punk band whose members have Down Syndrome.  Here's the trailer:


Though I can't understand Finnish, the subtitles indicate that they do sing about their experiences with Down Syndrome, as the first song featured in the trailer includes the lyrics, "I don't want to live in a group home.  I don't want to live in an institution."  

Unlike much of the media content surrounding people with disabilities, The Punk Syndrome shows people with agency.  Though I don't want to make too many assumptions based on the trailer, this film does seem to have a respect for its subjects that many other media representations lack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment