Below are excerpts form the interview that are most pertinent to my thesis. Below that is a link to the full oral account, which I found through one of the links Professor Delmont sent us.
PAUL CUMMINGS: Where did you get
interested in book design and production?
HARRY N. ABRAMS: When I left the Art
Students League I got a job with an art service
(Rice Studios) where Albert Dome worked. He was the man who later organized Famous Artists Schools. He was about three or five years older than I and was a top illustrator in his early twenties. I was running the errands there, and working in an art service made me more aware of the advertising agency. I felt I could never learn to become as good a commercial illustrator as Albert Dome —— and so I left and got a job with an advertising agency.
(Rice Studios) where Albert Dome worked. He was the man who later organized Famous Artists Schools. He was about three or five years older than I and was a top illustrator in his early twenties. I was running the errands there, and working in an art service made me more aware of the advertising agency. I felt I could never learn to become as good a commercial illustrator as Albert Dome —— and so I left and got a job with an advertising agency.
PAUL CUMMINGS: What year was that?
HARRY N. ABRAMS: I believe it was
about 1928 or 1929. I was about twenty—three or twenty— four at the time. This
agency prepared advertising for book publishers. It was the first year of the
Depression and they had to fire a good part of their staff. I started with them
at no salary at all, which for me was not a hardship because I earned enough
money working as an “extra” in a shoe store on Saturdays and Sundays. After
about a year or two when the advertising agency did start to pay me, I was
running errands, handling production, doing layouts and helping Bob Beatty—the
boss—with space buying. When he became too busy to see people he’d send them in
to see me and I’d give Bob Beatty a written report of our conversation. So all
of a sudden I found myself doing comparatively important work with a good and
reputable advertising agency at the age of twenty—four, when, only a year
before I had hardly known what an advertising agency was or how an advertising
agency functioned. Some of our publishing accounts were Doubleday and Simon
& Schuster. In addition to my other duties, I also handled the Simon &
Schuster advertising. I think that I along with Richard Simon and Max Schuster
was responsible for their advertising which was admired at the time. My
function was to care for the layout and typography. Both Mr. Simon and Schuster
wrote the copy and contributed the ideas.
HARRY N. ABRAMS: The mail
order business was fascinating because all ads had coupons and the coupon response
gave one an insight as to why people responded in greater or lesser number to
different advertising appeals.
No comments:
Post a Comment