While I was doing research for a song that had some type of
racial code (thesis topic) in the lyrics, I stumbled upon a website the lead me
to a video by Bone Thugs-n-Harmony (never heard of them). The song “1rst of tha
month” is a single from the E.1999
Eternal album. It made it onto the Billboard Hot 100 list and was actually
nominated for a Grammy in 1996. The website site I am referring to is Voices
from a free America…PJ Media. The article “The
Food Stamp President” and “1rst of tha Month” by author Seton Motely
founder and president of Less Government organization
explains his inspiration for referencing the video:
It
resonated — and stuck — because in letter and spirit it’s true
And why wouldn’t it resonate? It was
already resonating before Obama’s inauguration —
when one woman famously declared: “I won’t
have to worry about putting gas in my car. I
won’t have to worry about paying my
mortgage. If I help him, he’s going to help me.” I have
all along the way thought of a 1995
melodic rap hit. Obviously, it resonate with a great
number of people. The song’s lyrics
describe what some people do with their food stamps and
welfare checks.
[Birds singin', snorin', roster crowin', and
an alarm clock]
[Chorus: Layzie & Bizzy (repeat 4x)]
Wake up, wake up, wake up it's the 1st of the month
To get up, get up, get up so cash your checks and get up
[Krayzie]
Hey my nigga we havin' a wonderful day and I won't fuck with me. Why?
'Cause it's the 1st of the month and now we smokin', chokin', rollin' blunts
And sippin' on 40 ounces thuggin' come come we got the blessed rum
From jumpin' all nights we high
Hit up the block to where? East 99
I get with my nigga to get me some yayo
Double up nigga what you need?
We got weed to get P.O.Ded
Fiend for the green leaves
Give it up it's the foe sure you better lay low
Cause the po-po creep when they roll slow
If you can't get away better toss that yayo
Keep your bankroll
Yeah we havin' a celebration, I love to stay high
And you better believe when it's time to grind
I'm down for mine crime after crime
Fin to creep to the pad cause mom's got grub on the grill
If we got the food, you know it's the 1st of the month
and my nigga we chills foe real
[Chorus: Layzie & Bizzy (repeat 4x)]
Wake up, wake up, wake up it's the 1st of the month
To get up, get up, get up so cash your checks and get up
[Krayzie]
Hey my nigga we havin' a wonderful day and I won't fuck with me. Why?
'Cause it's the 1st of the month and now we smokin', chokin', rollin' blunts
And sippin' on 40 ounces thuggin' come come we got the blessed rum
From jumpin' all nights we high
Hit up the block to where? East 99
I get with my nigga to get me some yayo
Double up nigga what you need?
We got weed to get P.O.Ded
Fiend for the green leaves
Give it up it's the foe sure you better lay low
Cause the po-po creep when they roll slow
If you can't get away better toss that yayo
Keep your bankroll
Yeah we havin' a celebration, I love to stay high
And you better believe when it's time to grind
I'm down for mine crime after crime
Fin to creep to the pad cause mom's got grub on the grill
If we got the food, you know it's the 1st of the month
and my nigga we chills foe real
The video plays into the
stereotypes of black men and how they use food stamps. The lyrics are
strong…even painful for me to read. I find it interesting and disturbing that
the author/or an individual would use the song to cling to such ignorance. I
guess it shows how the power of music can moves us to dance, love, or hate.
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bonethugsnharmony/1stofthamonth.html
No comments:
Post a Comment