Monday, September 12, 2011

Letter by a Swiss-German Immigrant to Pennsylvania (August 23, 1769)

This is a letter written by a European immigrant who came to live in the Colony of Pennsylvania in the late 1700s. His letter to his family across the Atlantic describes some of the many reasons why so many Europeans left everything to start a new life in the New World. Johannes Hanner speaks of opportunities and comforts that did not exist in his homeland: no land taxes, a surplus of food, ability to climb the socioeconomic ladder, etc. Of course,this immigrant’s experience is partly due to the time in which he came to the Americas and the particular colony in which he settled. By the late 1700s many of the colonies were relatively established - some, even flourishing. During the early settlements of the 1600s lack of supplies, unfamiliarity with the land, and disorganization stole the lives of many immigrants. At this point there was also work and land available for the majority of immigrants who wanted to purchase it. Hanner’s description of the various freedoms he enjoyed was largely due to the colony in which he lived – Pennsylvania. Although in almost all of the colonies, people enjoyed more freedoms than they did in their countries of origin, Pennsylvanians experienced more liberties than others.  The settlers owed their freedoms to Pennsylvania’s founder, William Penn. Penn was a pacifist Quaker and encouraged democracy and religious freedom. Under Penn’s governorship, citizens enjoyed freedoms nonexistent elsewhere.
   Some questions to consider: Was the system of government practiced in Pennsylvania the determining factor in what made it one of the most economically successful colonies during the time?  The immigrants and lifelong citizens of this time were the ones who participated in the Revolution. If the colonies did not offer them more freedoms than Britain would they still have attempted to secede?

Letter by a Swiss-German Immigrant to Pennsylvania (August 23, 1769)
Dearest Father, Brother, and Sister and Brother-in-law.
   I have told you quite fully about the trip, and I will tell you what will not surprise you – that we have a free country. Of the sundry craftsmen, one may do whatever one wants. Nor does the land require payment of tithes…The land is very big from Canada to the east of us to Carolina in the South and to the Spanish border in the west…One can settle wherever one wants without asking anyone when he buys or leases something…
   I have always enough to do and we have no shortage of food. Bread is plentiful. If I work for two days I earn more bread than in eight days at home…Also I can buy many things so reasonably, for example, a pair of shoes for roughly seven Pennsylvania shillings…I think that with God’s help I will obtain land. I am not pushing for it until I am in a better position.
   I would like my brother to come…and it will then be even nicer in the country….I assume that the land has been described to you sufficiently by various people and it is not surprising that the immigrant agents demand payment. For the journey is long and it costs much to stay away for one year…
   Johannes Hanner

This letter is from Foner, Give Me Liberty, Volume One - Second Edition

Posted for Breanna

No comments:

Post a Comment