I was able to find an abbreviated cope of California's Proposition #65, which outlines the restrictions that the state enacted against businesses/corporations that were polluting water resources throughout CA. Essentially, it guarantees that the state will defend the rights of anyone who suffers from toxic water supply when said water supply is tainted by manufacturing run-off. It also outlines more clearly what "regulation of discharges" entails.
Truthfully, I cringed a little when I read that this passed in a 1986 general election. I understand that water quality issues didn't become quite the big deal they are until later in the 20th Century, but given the historical problems of such a scarce resource, especially in the Western US, I would have thought that water quality would be the top-most priority.
That said, my questions are to do with this issue of business versus "safety". Arguably, California is a state that prides itself on its water monopolies and, given that water is so expensive and treated here, the protection of water may well have been a concern of a few individuals to protect their investment rather than protect the environment and fellow Californians. Do you think that this is the case? If yes, then who is fighting for what here exactly? And if not, what kind of long-term plan do you think is present in the language of Prop 65 that would indicate some kind of environmental consciousness?
Winona Y.
No comments:
Post a Comment