Friday, September 30, 2011

FLW's Fallingwater

I've been very into architecture ever since my dad began investing in property when I was about five and he would show me different blueprints and house models. When I was eight my family took a trip to Fallingwater, an amazing house designed by famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The house, which Wright designed for prominent Pittsburgh businessman Edgar Kauffman, sits partially over a waterfall--not just overlooking a waterfall, but directly over it. Wright was very into organic architecture and incorporating nature into his designs, and when Kaufmann asked him to design something on his Bear Run property, Wright jumped at the chance to build something that would provide a rare and beautiful view of the falls.
The website for Fallingwater is actually pretty interactive and cool; I've never visited before but the link below allows you to look at an interactive architectural map and you can also see pictures of the house and its different views.
http://www.fallingwater.org/explore?to=1
When you visit Fallingwater, it's obvious that nature is the most important element in the house. There is nothing homey about the construction, but instead there's a lot of stone, concrete and wood to highlight the house's surroundings and prevent it from decay.
Wright, hailed one of America's most ingenious architects, created something completely new and stunningly different with Fallingwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment