This is the Vanity Fair article from 2008 featuring an interview with (then 15 year old) Miley Cyrus and accompanying photos by Annie Lebovitz. There was much controversy and debate surrounding the nature of the photos of her. As shown, there are two photographs of Cyrus, one where she is posed with her father (some say seductively) and another portrait where she appears naked, covered by a sheet.
The controversy surrounding these photos is something I will explore within my thesis. People had negative reaction to the photos because they say they were too inappropriate for her age. Also, the fact that she was a Disney star made her have a very pure image. I want to look into the nature of the reactions to these photographs, and whether the images themselves were upsetting or the fact that it poses a very different narrative than that of Cyrus's Disney character.
Personally, I can understand why the image of Cyrus with her father is troubling, but I think the portrait of her is beautiful. Though it implies she is naked, it is tasteful rather than revealing, and I think it is reminiscent of a classical painting.
No comments:
Post a Comment