Monday, September 16, 2013

Reflections on "The Great Migration"

I chose to explore articles pertaining to The Great Migration, in The Chicago Defender.  I remember reading an article about this topic in Intro to American Cultures, and found the migration from rural South to urban North from the early 1900s to roughly 1930 fascinating.  Looking at articles from a newspaper founded by an African-American and with an African-American target audience, I ended up finding one article, "Southern White People Waking Up to Migration" that reflected a white Floridan woman's perception of this mass exodus. She calls for better treatment of black people in Florida, using her experience in a "one-man car" to shed light on their mistreatment, as they have to stand while white people occupy the seats.  This woman is not writing to a black audience, though, as she is not writing for the Defender, but is quoted from a Florida newspaper. 

This woman's writing, and its placement in the Chicago Defender raised some questions. What does her call for a "Negro society" similar to a "humane society" or a "children's society" say about her vision of the problem at hand and the proposed solution to this issue?  I was struck by her initial strategy of calling for treatment of blacks as humans, saying, "she was somebody's mother, old and tired, even though she was Colored." However, this seems to contrast her final plea for better treatment based on the White South's need for black labor. Placing it in the context of the Chicago Defender, what would be the black northern response to this woman's words?  The Defender writer describes this as an example of Southern Whites beginning "to discern and Admit Its [the migration's] real causes".  Does that mean that the Florida woman's view was seen as a progressive step in the white population's understanding of discrimination? Or I wonder if her opinion would have been viewed more critically?

      

No comments:

Post a Comment