Sunday, September 15, 2013

Historical Importance of Subversive Media

So I was really drawn to looking at the Queer Zine Archive because zines are kind of a totally different beast than newspapers and magazines. Newspapers and magazines are aiming to hit as many people as possible and look to supply some kind of truth to the general public. Zines, on the other hand, are often targeted to fit the needs of a niche group, sometimes in spite of information that would be searched for by the majority of folks. I found this opening editorial statement of a zine called HOMOCORE to be particularly interesting.
Looking at this with a historical lens, or really looking at zines in general with a historical lens, allows us to see which populations might not have been being catered to or what information was not being talked about by the majority of folks at that time. Zines exist as alternatives to mainstream media, they provide something which is not being achieved otherwise. I found this zine's opening interesting because, in spite of its aggressive language and its clear prioritizing of the queer community, the editor also made a point to appeal more universally: "The one thing everyone in here has in common is that we're all social mutants. We've outgrown or never were a part of any of the socially acceptable categories. You don't have to be gay; being different at all, like straight guys who aren't macho shitheads, women who don't want to be a punk rock fashion accessory or any other personal decision that makes you an outcast is enough. Sexuality is an important part of it, but only part." In this way, this zine educates us both on what mainstream society was/was not preaching as well as the priorities and allegiances of at least some folks in a marginalized group at that time.


Also sorry I posted late. I got confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment