On the New York Times webpage,
they have an “Immigration Explorer” map represents several “foreign-born
groups” that resided in the United States from 1880 to 2000. What I found interesting
about this map is that it is very interactive: the viewer can select a certain
year by which to explore the country, as well as maneuver through each city of
the state. The map includes the percentage of foreign-born population with relation
to the entire population and six different types of foreign-born groups in
order to compare amongst their numbers. What I appreciate most from the map is
the specificity of nationalities for each foreign-born group. Say for example,
one foreign group is Latin America, the map has a key that categorizes which
countries from Latin America (Mexico, Cuba, El Salvador, Canada, Dominican
Republic, etc.). I was most impressed by the information in years, while also
enjoying the aesthetics of color for the map. Again, the interactive
characteristic really makes the map powerful enough to make it realistic –
while also providing the viewer with a chance to navigate in different spaces
and their pace.
"Immigration Explorer": http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/10/us/20090310-immigration-explorer.html
No comments:
Post a Comment