I think most kids growing up in America had some experience with School House Rock in their public schools. I chose this song and video for this week because I think it sends some pretty interesting messages about colonialism, Western expansion, Native Americans (or, in this case, the lack of Native Americans), and just the overall narrative of American History.
The song itself is very catchy and meant to stick in your head, I don't know much about music and its nuances so I can't comment very well on that. The content of the song on the other hand sheds light on the type of simplistic and completely misleading education we give children in America, as well as what the popularly accepted narrative of American history.
"Elbow Room" tells the story of Americans feeling a tad cramped in the East and needing to expand Westward. While France sells its portion of the land, mysteriously acquired, to the U.S., the rest of the land lies empty and free for the taking. We even see the boat of Lewis and Clark "discovering" the West as it makes its way across whiteness to reveal trees, rivers, and rolling hills. The only reference to Native Americans is Sacagawea helping the American explorers, and a dart piercing a man's hat as the song goes "there were plenty of fights, to win land rights. But the West was meant to be! It was a Manifest Destiny!" So, America expanded to the west, was able to progress and establish great cities like Los Angeles. And as for the prospect of one day needing more elbow room? Well there is the moon!
No comments:
Post a Comment