The song is not particularly profound, and the video is even less, which is why I posted the video just with the lyrics, as the lyrics are what I'm interested in. The Enrique Iglesias section does not involve much Spanish apart from the use of the word "fiesta" (though I had thought initially that he said "prueba"--exam--rather than "forever" which confused me) but the Pitbull rap section includes a bit more Spanish "pa' fuera, pa' la calle/dale mamita tÃrame ese baile".
I didn't know much about Iglesias as a person or as a musician, but a quick Wikipedia search is very telling. Iglesias is originally from Spain but has become extremely popular with the Latin American community and is considered a Latin Pop star. His earlier works were mainly in Spanish, but he has done English songs, and according to Wikipedia "I like it" is from his first bilingual English/Spanish album (Euphoria), which came out last year in 2010. I chose this song as I said because I do, in fact, like it, but also because it is one of the most popular of Iglesias' songs and also because it reached an extremely large audience as it was amongst the most popular songs in 2010 and reached the top or close to the top on many a Billboard chart.
Unlike Akwid's song, "I like it" represents mainstream pop and club music, meaning it is played not only on Mexican or Spanish language stations or stations that realize they cater to Spanish language listeners, but people all over the country and all over the world. That being said, it is interesting that Iglesias is able to mix Spanish and English so fluidly, crossing between the two worlds that he had previously successfully inhabited separately, and create a song that is extremely popular in the United States and elsewhere, marketed as an "English" song but with sneaky bits of Spanish that belie the fusion of cultures in America.
No comments:
Post a Comment